Sometimes it can seem that to really make strides in decreasing energy usage, big changes have to happen: the installation of a new heating system, drastically changing the temperatures you set or installing a fireplace for more supplemental heat. But there is one change you can make that doesn’t require an enormous amount of effort: upgrading your thermostat. Your thermostat controls when and at what temperature your home is heated, and having better control over your thermostat can help you have better control over your heating.
Types of Thermostats
Today’s thermostats have come a long ways since mercury-based dial thermostats and slide thermostats:
- Digital – digital thermostats offer a level of precision you won’t get with a slide or dial thermostat. The numbers are exact versus being in a range. Digital thermostats are also more intuitive and have easier-to-use buttons.
- Programmable – programmable thermostats have digital technology but take it to another level by giving you the ability to program your heating system for up to 7 days (you can loop the program to have it run continuously). Programming your thermostat allows you to set temperatures to accommodate for the daytime, the nighttime and for times when no one is home – you can even program for weekend and vacation times.
- Smart – smart thermostats give you the ultimate control over your heating systems. By downloading a simple app and having access to Wi-Fi, you can program your thermostat, change settings and monitor your energy usage from any smart device.
- Better energy efficiency – the better you can control how, when and at what temperature you heat your home, the less heating you’ll use, which helps reduce energy usage.
- Better comfort – the precision of an upgraded thermostat allows you to set an exact temperature, which can help improve comfort levels.
- Less wear on your system – upgraded thermostats can reduce the amount of time your heating system operates, which reduces the amount of wear and tear on your system.
- Convenience – being able to program your thermostat means you don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn your heat up or down.
Can your heating benefit from an upgraded thermostat? If so, call A–Professional Heating and Air Conditioning today and schedule heating service in Covington with one of our experts.