Skip navigation

Serving Southeast Louisiana

24/7 Emergency Services

985-467-0114

Menu
Professional Heating & Air

Replace Your Furnace Early to Save Money

house-money-seesaw-savingsA good furnace will diligently provide you with quick and reliable heating for more than a decade. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and that means your furnace will need to be replaced one day. But it doesn’t have to come as a surprise. If you recognize the signs early on, you can get it replaced sooner to save hundreds of dollars in expenses. Here are some of the signs:

The Cost of Your Heating Bill is Slowly Rising

If you don’t already keep track of how much your heating bill is costing you every month, we can give you a good reason start.

Your heating bill is a good benchmark for your heater’s performance. If a component in the furnace has fallen into disrepair (without any obvious indicator of it having done so), then the cost of the heating bill can provide a clue. A gradual increase, or even a sudden spike, can indicate an issue with your heater.

If the bill is still increasing even after a repair or maintenance check, then it might be time for a replacement.

However, you’ll also want to keep a close eye on your actual energy usage—you might simply be using the heater more than you realize. A good way to combat that is by sticking to a weekly heating schedule, which would help keep your usage stable and predictable.

Experiencing More Than One Repair Issue in a Year

Getting regular maintenance for your heater is estimated to prevent about 85% of normal HVAC problems. As for the other 15%, they usually consist of issues that seem to develop out of nowhere. It does happen, but it shouldn’t be common.

If you find that your furnace needs heating repairs in Walker, LA more than once a year, it could be a sign that the system is on its way out. Now, we’re not trying to say you should run out and get your heater replaced just because of two repair issues. But it is true that, on average, the need for more than one repair in a short period of time is the beginning of further troubles.

At the very least, you should start keeping an eye on your heating bills for any suspicious rises or spikes.

The Heater is More Than 10 Years Old

Most furnaces are expected to last about 15 years. Some have been known to last 20 years. But at the lower end of that spectrum is just 10 years. So, to be safe, we recommend monitoring your furnace’s performance as early as that 10-year mark.

The way you’ll want to think of it is in comparison of the current furnace and of a brand-new one. Are the combined operational and repair costs of your current furnace exceeding the estimated operational costs of a brand-new furnace? If the cost of your current furnace is on an upward trajectory, then it’s best to cut your losses ASAP and get it replaced. You may need the help of an HVAC contractor to get an accurate estimate.

If you need help replacing your furnace, contact Professional Heating & Air today.

Comments are closed.